The Absentee Blogger

An Explanation

To those kind friends and followers of Earth Stone Station I’d like to explain my sudden disappearance and lack of communication over the past few months.

For two years I kept a promise to myself to follow through and write something every 006week. The original intent for the blog was to promote sustainability and  the Lower Farm, my property in New Mexico. Those ideas shifted a bit as writing progressed and considering the fact that I am now living/working on the Big Island of Hawaii in a different environment than my home in the southwest. What I was able to write about pertained to ideas, thoughts and adventures that might bring awareness to the beauty of the Earth. As you all know keeping up with a blog can be time consuming and no matter how much passion one has, self imposed deadlines can induce stress.

I started to question the quality and impact of my efforts towards writing. My concentration was on research and the task, I was losing sight of the Art. My intellectual hobby which brought in no additional income had become demanding of time that might be spent at other pursuits. Perhaps I would reduce the writing to twice a month I thought. Take a break. That is not what happened though.

Chemotherapy. Earlier in the year I had surgery on my lower intestines. The operation was minor, although it was my first invasive procedure ever. As a precaution the oncologist recommended Chemotherapy treatment. I complied. The six month end is now in sight. I am grateful for the good health I’ve enjoyed throughout my life, however the past few months have been horrid with the side effects of chemo. Never have I felt so ill. Any interest I had in anything was gone. Television news and politics became an engaging escape while I spent hours on the sofa. Apathy and procrastination were other side effects of chemotherapy to deal with. Today I feel better.

I have another couple rounds of treatment scheduled and then I can concentrate on the recovery of mind, body and  spirit. Become balanced again. I look forward to that. My creative muse has been absent for too long. Today I feel better and at last find pleasure in sitting with a keyboard in hand. My goal for now is to keep it simple, go through some photographs of last years excursions and get back to writing about our world and the beauty of the Earth. I’ve got a couple things in the works and will be posting soon.

To all of the readers around the globe…Aloha.  I thank you all for the support you have shown over the past few years in your comments and by following my attempts to bring awareness and respect for all species.  I am humbled to be in such talent and company as yourselves. Best regards. I’ll be with you soon.

Mahalo, Dohn

This entry was posted in the hungry brain and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to The Absentee Blogger

1. Abha Shahra Shyama says:

I hope and pray for your speedy recovery to health and energy. God bless you

2. PK Read says:

Just saw this post today, and I hope you are feeling better with every passing week, every fresh footstep! Your writing is much appreciated way over here in France!

3. McEff says:

Hi Dohn. Good to see you back. The cyber-environment has not been the same without you. Sorry to hear about your ill health. Hope you’re fully fighting fit soon.
    All the best, Alen

4. Warmest good wishes for your continuing recovery. YOur posts have always been magical, so connected to our lovely earth, it’s so good to know you’re back.

5. Wondered, thought it had gone very quiet from your direction. Keep getting well again :))

6. FeyGirl says:

Welcome back! I’m so sorry that you’ve been contending with such issues…. But sending you lots of love and blessings of healing. ♥

7. df says:

It sounds like you’ve been through some rough months, and being able to focus on what matters most is the best gift to yourself. There are many of us looking forward to reading here again, but knowing you are getting well and feeling stronger is the best thing of all. Warm wishes.

8. Great to have you back, Dohn! Keep on truckin’.

9. mabbsonsea says:

Great to hear from you. Every good wish for your recovery.

10. mcddanielle says:

Thank you for sharing your life with us. In one respect, the internet has altered our duty to keep in contact with people who care about us, and in others it is much the same, isn’t it. Falling off the map isn’t new even though blogging is (relatively speaking). Best of luck to you. I look forward to when you have the strength to share your words with us again.

11. Sending Love and Light to you. Hope you continue to feel better and get stronger. Was just thinking that I hadn’t read anything from you earlier this morning…so thanks for checking in and for your love of the planet!!

12. Nil says:

Best wishes for your health… lots of positive energy to get you through the treatment and have a long and heathy life after.

And good to have you back! 🙂

13. Chris says:

Dohn, I need to find time to read through your entries. I’m a follower but have not been putting in much reading time; writing time is scarce enough. But I did read this entry. You’re a man of good spirit and I am glad you’ve found the time to fire up the keyboard again. I am glad that your health appears to be headed in the right direction – looking forward to hearing more good things from you; past, present and most definitely future. Peace.

14. Will be thinking about you and sending healing energy your way. Your work, in showing the beauty of the earth, is wonderful and you are exceptionally good at what you do.

15. So sorry to hear about your op and subsequent chemo, hope everything goes well for you and you start to feel better after your last treatments are over.

Whether you are writing about New Mexico or Hawaii doesn’t matter, it’s the approach that is important. And the fact that I haven’t been to either. Look forward to whatever you choose to write when you feel ready.

16. Cathy says:

Dear Dohn, how terrible for you to go through such an illness. I send my very best wishes for a rapid recovery and better health in the future. So good to hear from you, and I look forward to hearing more soon. Take it easy though.

17. Gneiss Moon says:

Hi Dohn,
    Sorry to hear you have been unwell, but relieved as I was beginning to fear the worst.
    You raise many valid points, I agree the work needed to flesh out the bones of ideas into words isn’t always easy or quick. Your posts are always so thoughtful, I enjoy them, look forward to whatever you care to share, whenever you feel ready.
    Slow is Still Moving !
    Take good care…

18. Sharon K. says:

Hello, Dohn. Sorry to hear you’ve been ill, but it’s great to have you back :-).
    Looking forward to some nice Hawaiian views. We need ’em. 🙂