mountain ART books

Guy Laramee and Altered Books.

For those that enjoy nature but can not go out and climb great mountains there are photographs and books. Through books we gain a certain knowledge about the mountains, however by climbing mountains and spending time in nature we gain a certain knowledge about ourselves.

Canadian  born Guy Laramee is a multidisciplinary artist that has worked in theater, music, video, sculpture, painting and literature. He has also pursued interests in anthropology. His field work includes ethno-musicography of the Fetish ritual in Togo and oracular imagination among healers in the Peruvian Amazon. Two of his recent projects Biblios and The Great Wall are books about mountains and culture.

Artist statement: “The erosion of cultures – and of “culture” as a whole – is the theme that runs through the last 25 years of my artistic practice. Cultures emerge, become obsolete, and are replaced by new ones. With the vanishing of cultures, some people are displaced and destroyed. We are currently told that the paper book is bound to die. The library, as a place, is finished. One might ask so what? Do we really believe that ” new technologies” will change anything concerning our existential dilemma, our human condition? And even if we could change the content of all the books on earth, would this change anything in relation to the domination of analytical knowledge over intuitive knowledge?”

” So I carve landscapes out of books and I paint romantic landscapes. Mountains of disused knowledge return to what they really are: mountains. They erode a bit more and they become hills. Then they flatten and become fields where apparently nothing is happening. Piles of obsolete encyclopedias return to that which does not need to say anything, that which simply IS.”

The GALERIE D’ART D’OUTREMONT in Montreal, Canada will be exhibiting the works of Guy Laramee 5 au 29 Avril 2012. If you are in the area or neighborhood and like mountain ART books stop in and pay your respects. Peace.

Gallery | This entry was posted in earth, environment, the hungry brain and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to mountain ART books

1. Pit says:

Simply fantastic!

2. Sam Zodiac says:

Yeah, really cool stuff! Thanx for sharing, man..! 😉

3. jpgreenword says:

Wonderful art. Some of them look like they are model sets for Lord of the Rings!

Does anyone know how it is done? Not that I will try – I don’t have an artistic bone in my body – but I’m very curious.

4. Anya says:

I think in a subtle way Laramee’s choice of subject and materials closes a circle that was started thousands of years ago. Then we used natural materials, like charcoal and stone, to write books (scrolls), and now he’s using books to depict natural materials (ie. mountains). Great interplay of the natural and the man-made. Thank you for sharing!

5. This is amazing! Thank you for sharing and stopping by my blog! 🙂

6. Candy says:

Surprisingly, I just learned about “altered books” from a friend who attends a local altered books craft class. My first thought was “altering the text”, but alas (and thank goodness) it turned out to be crafting artful creations using a book a
    s a substrate. These mountain art books are beautiful!

• I had seen a few other altered book projects before where books are stacked forming large sculptures such as buildings. The art of Paul Laramee is wonderful. He does fine paintings of landscapes as well. Check out his website.

7. Talk about unbelievable! That’s Talent with a capital “T”. Thanks for sharing. I’m Canadian but I hadn’t heard anything about him or his art.

8. talesfromthelou says: