Walking a Dirt Road

For Your Health

Walking is a low-impact exercise that can lead to a higher level of fitness and health. Spending that time close to nature is even better and can lead to a higher level of consciousness. There are lots of folks practicing good health and exercise by walking the golf course, biking city paths or strolling through the parks. Unfortunately that environment is the ever present concrete and macadam roads, the bricks of buildings, glass and steel, the works of man. Health is a balance of mind body spirit and there is a model for that in nature.

To restore a healthy spirit I’m not suggesting  tramping off to the wilderness, mountain climbing or making this an expedition. The balance of mind-body-spirit takes practice, involvement and change.  A little exercise is all that is required to loosen up stiff joints, straighten the mind, expand the lungs and put a glow on the cheeks. For a change do it away from the works of man and industrial hum and find a place where wind and birds are the sound as your feet touch down on native soil, along some farmers country lane. For your health try Walking a Dirt Road.

In about a 1/4 mile you will find your stride,

a half mile more you should be limber,

lungs are working not so shallow

taking in the air.

Mud caked shoes

sun lit face

wind blown  hair

a mile is walked

at a gentle pace.

Trudging on, deep in thought

thinking, sorting, cataloging

loose threads, scattered dreams,

dangling conversations

all arrested,

when a glow of color

calls attention

all the senses

heightened, answer

eager to investigate,

the mystery of nature

some detail of design

or  magnificence of scale.

Just mystified in awe

how things so

fine and beautiful

are packaged up

so small.

Then looking up,

eyes opened wide, you see

the beauty of the earth

is right there at your side.

Your outdoor health

is a simple thing to do.

There is beauty waiting

right in front of you.

click any image to enlarge

Walking a dirt road

you will discover

the world is full of new adventures

and things yet to explore.

For your health.

Happy Trails,  Dohn

Aside | This entry was posted in Air, earth, Nature and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Walking a Dirt Road

1. carmelazabala says:

Many thanks for liking our post on earth hour! Wouldn’t have discovered your world had you not liked us (or called us). It’s like bumping into you on a dirt road (though have yet to try it). I’m passionate about walking so am planning that adventure very soon.

2. Manoj says:

Ah.. Wonderfully written! Just reading this made me realize how much I miss “Walking the Dirt Road” – as you put it. Living in a city does not help; I need to search for dirt roads now. 😦

Thanks for the post! Really good!

3. df says:

Really wonderful post. So glad to have found your site and to be discovering your writings and doings.

4. McEff says:

I like dirt roads because you don’t necessarily know where they’re taking you. And that’s really appealing. You’re drifting as well as walking.
    Alen McF

5. J M Naszady says:

This is one of my favorite activities!

6. talesfromthelou says:

I used to believe the BS about modern medicine and its drugs. I have since discovered that fresh air, a walk, sunshine, water, and a good sleep is all you need.

7. You are so right! There is nothing like a good country walk. Anytime is lovely but I LOVE early morning as the sun warms the earth and the birds rejoice in another day.

8. FeyGirl says:

Just lovely… I’ve endorsed such walks — sans such beautiful poems! I need…must… (as does everyone, ditto) escape to nature, to walk the *earth* on a regular basis. Empty the mind (purposefully or not) for my walking meditations, else I become a frustrated critter. There’s nothing as grounding as the earth below or a nice tree. 🙂

9. grahammb says:

What an appropriate post for me — getting ready to go to the Shenandoah National Park for a little hike. You’re so right. Walking is great exercise but is not so intense that one misses the incredible beauty and majesty of the natural world. In rural western Virginia we are lucky to be surrounded by opportunities to walk and observe.

10. Cathy says:

I do EXACTLY this regularly, and you have put it into words perfectly! Especially the part where you are deep in thought and something then catches your eye. I think subconsciously I am looking for that something. Then suddenly the beauty of everything around you makes you stop and just look. Thank you!